California Used Oil Recycling Program

Just imagine this as someone taking your empty soda cans to the recycling center for money. Now imagine your used oil, which is being taken away for recycling, has a refund associated with it. All you have to do is sign up as a California Used Oil Recycling Center and then we file this claim for you as part of our service. The money that you receive from the state is about $3000 per year, on average. All you have to do is deposit the check the state sends you every quarter! See details at

You can find frequently asked questions and answers are available on the state website at

Q: What forms do I need to complete to get certified?

A: Celly Services will complete all forms that you need to get certified (2 pages).

Q: What if the oil looks contaminated?

A: You can decline the acceptance of contaminated used motor oil or other waste given         to  you. Instructions are listed                  here, Ask them to take it to a facility as provided by the state.

Q: Do I need to keep any special/extra paperwork as part of the program?

A: No. Your used oil pickup receipts are obtained by us from your used oil hauler.

Q: What is the claim based on and how frequently?

A: The claim is 16 cents for every gallon of used oil collected from your facility and is filed quarterly by us.

Q: What is the maximum amount of oil that a person can bring?

A: You can set a limit where you may not accept more than 5 gallons from a person.

Q: How does this affect my image as a new car dealer?

A: The fear that unsightly homeless in pajamas will show up with a gallon of used oil in your driveway is unfounded. No dealership in the program (CSI client) has ever seen them drive in with oil.

Q: What paperwork needs to be posted?

A: The Certificate of a Used Oil Recycling Center (8.5 x 11 sheet of paper) needs to be posted on your notice board where service department permits and licenses are posted. Also, a Used Oil Recycling Center sign (provided by the state at no cost) needs to be posted in your driveway next to your BAR and other signs.

Q: Do I need to pay the public?

A: As we said earlier, no one shows up. If they do, offer them 40 cents per gallon. No paperwork is needed.

Q: Is there a long term contract with the state?

A: No, you can get off the program with a simple letter to the state.

Q: What if my oil gets contaminated?

A: You may keep a 16 gallon drum separately for storage of oil from the public and keep suspected oil in that drum. If taking oil from the public contaminates your oil, the state will reimburse you for incremental costs for disposal due to the contamination, presuming the source of contamination was public oil (up to a maximum of $5,000 per year. Signs are available, from the state at no cost, to remind both employees and customers not to mix anything with used oil or pour contaminated used oil into storage tanks.

Q: How do I get the gallons of new oil + ATF purchased per quarter needed for the claim?

A: Contact your bulk oil supplier for the number.

Certified Collection Center Operators Guide


Comments: Trust us. It’s the coolest $3000 (average) your consultant has ever made for you!


If you need further details or wish to have a copy of the application, please call us at (562) 704-4000 or email Sam at

DISCLAIMER: The contents of this newsletter are merely for informational purposes only and are not to be considered as legal advice.  Employers must consult their lawyer for legal matters and EPA/OSHA consultants for matters related to Environmental, Health & Safety. The article was authored by Sam Celly of Celly Services, Inc. who has been helping automobile dealers comply with EPA and OSHA regulations since 1987. Sam received his BE (1984) and MS (1986) in Chemical Engineering, followed by a J.D. from Southwestern University School of Law (1997). Our newsletters can be accessed at Your comments/questions are always welcome. Please send them to